Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Mason's Appendectomy

Let me start out by saying that the following pictures are totally out of order! I don't know why this is so hard for me but oh-well! So Mas comes home from soccer on Tuesday night with the worst stomach ache ever! He then proceeds to throw up allllll night! The next morning he is feeling a bit better but has a fever and a "cramp" in his right side. I decided to call Kelsey and check with him on the symptoms of appendicitis. Sure enough that's what he thinks it is. So he tells me to get Mas to a hospital. Within 5 minutes of arriving they have him hooked up to IV's giving him antibiotics and morphine for the pain. They run all the usual test and conclude yes that's what it is-his appendix. The only problem is that they won't operate on children at that hospital. So, much to Mason's delight they have an ambulance transport him with the lights and siren on! He loved it!!! I took a picture on my cell phone but I have to have Kyle show me how to download it to the computer. Anyway, they got him there and took him right into surgery and thankfully they got it out before it had ruptured!

Here he is getting his IV out and getting ready to go home.
Here is his nurse giving him a ride out to the car.
On our way home we decided to stop by the library and check out some movies. We also got to check out this scooter for Mas to ride around. He thought it was pretty cool to cruise around the library on a scooter!
Here is one of the cuts. He had 3 cuts total. Thank heaven for laproscopy. The healing time is much faster!

Here is me and Mas right after he came out of surgery. You can tell he's not feeling so hot!
But then here he is the morning he was going home. Obviously feeling much better!
We knew he was really feeling better when he started acting like his usual silly self. He said,"mom take my picture like this and tell everyone that's what the pain medicine did to me!"


Here is the picture the doc took while inside Mason's tummy. And here's Kelsey and the other munchkins visiting Mason after surgery.
PS...Mason is now home and doing great. He is going to go to half the day at school. The doctor said it will be a couple weeks before he is back up and running. Ya, we'll see if we can keep him down that long!
PPS...Thanks for all the calls, texts, meals, and prayers on Mason's behalf. He felt all your love during this time! And a special thanks to his Grandma Vicky for flying down to help take care of him. He has loved the special treatment!


8 comments:

Stan and Jamie said...

Poor guy, he is a trooper though I'm sure! Did they pump his tummy up with that gas stuff? They did that to me when they took out my gallbladder laproscopically and that stuff is nasty when you wake up! You feel so uncomfortable for the longest time!! HATED IT! Hopefully he is feeling tons better now and enjoying his time off!

Stephani said...

Ahhh Scary - we are glad that they got the appendix out before it ruptured. Tell Mason we are thinking about him and to get better quick!

Kristen said...

I am so glad he is doing okay and that you got him fixed before they burst. I love the pic of you and Mason and the crazy pic. Too funny.

ME said...

WOW!! How scary! I'm glad to hear he's doing better. Please let us know if you need anything!

QnA Drapers said...

I like how Randi is trying to take a nap in that comfy hospital bed. Way to be tough Mason- we sure miss you guys. Hope schools going well!

VegasWatkins said...

I am soooo glad that he is doing well. I just imagine how scary that must have been. James saw his picture and said "Mom I like that Mason" you are missed!

Dustin Family said...

POOR MASON!!! I'm so glad that he's doing better. My favorite picture was you and him in bed eating the candy... like you're celebrating that he get's to go home! Cute, cute, cute! We love you guys! Wish him well for us!!

Meli said...

cool pix of the insides! Love how Kelsey looks all official in his scrubs--lol!